Update. Thanks to those emailing me & commenting with new authors. As I get new authors with ADHD I’ll add them below

As a follow up to my post on The Top 11 Advantages To Having ADHD As A Writer,  I have a list of some Authors who have gone public with having Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and who’ve written non ADHD Books. I.e., books about other topics than ADHD. ADHD can be a competitive edge for a writer. I would like more names for that list. Here’s why.

My Vancouver Adult ADD Support Group volunteers and our partners are organizing 77 80 ADHD book displays in Libraries and bookstores in 23 BC cities for BC ADHD Awareness Week in the Lower Mainland. The theme of 2013’s ADHD Awareness week is Get Real About ADHD. Learn the: Facts, Myths, Stigma and Economic Impacts. Check out our cool poster

Some libraries and bookstores may have smaller collections of ADHD Books. That’s one reason why we’d have a longer list of authors who have gone public with ADHD who have written non ADHD Books to enhance the displays. Some of them have also written ADHD Books, some have not.

Here is the list of Author’s who have confirmed they have ADHD who’ve written non-ADHD books

An Wallace

Robin Black

Seth Godin

Terry Bradshaw

Thom Hartmann

Ty Pennington

Zoe Kessler

And we’re not even talking about the many high profile bloggers who have ADHD too although some people on that list blog too.

Do you know any more author’s who’ve gone public with ADHD vs. you think they’re ADHD, that has written NON ADHD BOOKS? I.e., a topic that is NOT ADHD that you could add to this list? We don’t need books on the topic of ADHD because the libraries will already put them up on display. Or know someone else who might know?

If you do, please let me know in the comments below. Thanks

18 thoughts on “List Of Authors Who Have ADHD And Have Written Non-ADHD Books. Can You Add To This List?

• Pingback:11 Advantages Of Having ADHD As A Writer - BC ADHD

• October 10, 2013 at

doug puryear – Helping People In Crisis (on crisis intervention)

• February 7, 2015 at

I think a lot of highly successful creative minds in the sciences, arts, humanities and other areas have published important books (not to mention music albums and acclaimed art works), but have not come out to the public as ADHD due to stigma and understandable privacy issues. I also know a lot of very high functioning, likely ADHDers who are published, and who get by without diagnosis because they’ve found compensation techniques and/or have had highly structured support and routines to help them stay focused and use their creativity to their advantage.

• March 13, 2015 at

I would agree with you both on that T. Sadly too many ADDErs stay hidden in the ADHD closet.

• January 1, 2016 at

Yep – me. 🙂 My first novel, Liberty was published by a small press in 2013. I started writing full time in 2009. It’s REALLY hard work, but I’ve never found anything else that provides as much stimulation and challenge, while allowing me to be creative and independent.

Now if I could just focus long enough to get my next draft…yanno…written. 🙂

• January 2, 2016 at

Thanks, Annie, added you to the list. but $211.13 for a book? Is their a typo there?

• October 23, 2016 at

Rich Riordan does not have ADHD. His son does, and was the inspiration for his character Percy Jackson. And I can find no evidence to support that Cory Doctorow had ADHD — maybe he said it some interview somewhere — but I found nothing.

I was very excited about this list, but it’s less inspirational if I can’t find any evidence to support it.

• November 4, 2016 at

will check on rich, thought he does. Cory Doctorow told me he had ADHD at a blogging event at SFU Vancouver many years ago.

• April 1, 2017 at

Thanks Cuentista just added her to the list

• Pingback:Apparently, I have Adult ADHD - Neil A. Hogan Science Fiction and Fantasy Writer

• July 21, 2018 at

I wrote a historical novel based on the Phantom of the Opera story (Letters to Erik: the Ghost’s Love Story). I’m currently writing a fantasy series. I have ADHD and love it!

• July 21, 2018 at

I’ve written a couple of novels and am now working on a new fantasy series. I have ADHD and find it a real advantage to my writing. Not only the hyperfocus, but the creativity as well. I love it!

• August 3, 2018 at

Thanks Ann, added you to the list.

• August 3, 2018 at

yes we adders usually have no trouble with creative thoughts if anything we sometimes have too many:) Please ask other authors you know who have ADHD and have come out of the #ADHDCloset to comment here. Thanks

• August 5, 2018 at

I have written several short story books for children but never had them published. The reason is that I wrote them in an ADD style, that is to say, they have frequent funny off topic comments included in the text. Of course the comments are not reallly off topic, they make perfect sense to a person with ADD. But an editor would likely say they have to go because they impede the flow of the story. I wrote the stories for my kids, and they really enjoy them, but people keep telling me I should have them published. Do you have any ideas how I could go about doing that without removing the extraneous parts? The aside comments are what sets the stories apart from about anything I have ever read…

• August 15, 2018 at

Publish it as is. Don’t try to conform to the herd. If kids like your stories, publish them. That may be your writing style and people are different so it’s good to have different writing styles. If you’re still concerned get someone else who’s not a friend or a relative to give the books to kids you don’t know and get them to tell you what the kids think about the book. If enough kids like it publish them. Not all kids or all adults will like every book that is written, your goal is to have AN audience who likes it vs EVERYONE must like it.